Presented by Maxim’s 22 French Bistro & Brasserie
- 1 quart whole small strawberries
- 3/4 cup great quality red wine vinegar
- 2 T aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T saba or vin cotto (wine reductions for cooking)
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed hot pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup water
Divide strawberries between two heatproof 1-pint jars with fitted lids. Set aside.
Stir remaining ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
Pour warm liquid brine over berries and allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 days or until suited to your taste before using.
NOTE: These strawberries may be stirred into cocktails, served with cheese and crostini, tossed into leafy salads or added to any dish that could benefit from a tartly sweet burst of flavor.
Yields 2 pints