Empanadas de Camaron (Shrimp Empanadas)
Presented by Torre
- 36 4-inch round discos (dough shells), homemade or commercially prepared
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced small
- 2 T garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced medium
- 2 1/2 T cumin powder
- 2 tsp. ancho chili powder
- 3/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs. U26-30 shrimp, cleaned and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Honey picante sauce
- 1 cup Valentina Salsa Picante (Mexican hot sauce)
- 1 cup honey
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 oz. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
For the filling: In a large sauté pan or pot, on medium heat, sweat the onions and garlic in olive oil. Add the tomatoes, cumin and chili powder and continue to cook for several minutes. Add the cilantro and chopped shrimp, simmering for 3 to 4 minutes until shrimp are just cooked through. Remove from heat and chill quickly. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
For picante sauce: Puree all the ingredients in a blender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
For the empanadas: Lay out the empanada dough on a clean work surface. Place 1 1/2 ounces of filling in the center of each piece of dough. Fold the dough over and crimp the sides with a fork. Deep fry in 350°F oil until golden brown. Serve with the honey picante sauce on the side.
(Yields 3 dozen)