Duck Breast with Sour Cherry Beurre Blanc
Presented by The Brick Tavern Inn
- 1 whole boneless duck breast, cut into 2 half-breast portions, skin scored
- 8-10 tart dried cherries
- 2 oz. orange juice
- 2 oz. port wine
- 2 oz. grenadine or cherry juice
- 6 + 1/2 oz. water
- 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. soybean or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. shallot, finely chopped
- 2 oz. whole unsalted butter, cut into cubes
In a small saucepan, bring cherries, orange juice, grenadine and 6 ounces water to a boil. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Stir remaining 1/2 ounce water into cornstarch. Slowly add to saucepan to thicken slightly. Place sauce in blender and process until smooth.
Drain most of the fat from the pan used for searing the breasts, leaving enough to sauté the shallot. When shallot is starting to brown, add port wine carefully — it will flame! When flame is out, add puréed sauce and butter to pan, whisking until butter is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle over duck breasts and serve.