Citrus Herb Vinaigrette
Presented by Kingfish American Bistro & Wine Bar
- 2 lb. carrots, halved and quartered
- 8 cups water
- 1 T kosher salt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2–3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pickled red onions or caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup manchego cheese, grated or shaved
- 6–8 cups spring mix
Citrus Herb Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T honey (preferably local)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
After washing and cutting the carrots, place them in a stockpot with the water and kosher salt and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook the carrots until they can be easily pierced with a paring knife. Remove the carrots from the pot and cool to room temperature.
For the Citrus Herb Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients except olive oil, then slowly whisk in olive oil to emulsify. Set aside.
To finish: When the carrots are cooled, toss them with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil and place on hot grill until they begin to char. Turn and repeat on other side then remove from grill. Toss the onions, parsley, and cheese with the carrots until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Toss the spring mix with the vinaigrette and top with grilled carrot mixture.